What is TalkAbility® by Hanen®?
TalkAbility is an intensive Parent Training Program for Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or a Social- Communication Difficulty. It is for children aged 3 years to 8 years old. It is often a great program to follow on after completing More Than Words. This program helps the child who has many verbal language skills, however has difficulty using these skills effectively. These High- Functioning Children may have difficulty having conversations with others, or difficulty discussing topics that are interesting to other people, they require help interacting with children the same age, or to tune into the non verbal cues of an interaction.
To express interest in attending this program, for times and locations, or to find out more please contact us.
This program helps parents understand what their child can already do, and then set the next appropriate goal to work on. In a group setting we plan how to support the child learning in a natural interaction, and then support the family through video feedback coaching in the home. We find families and the children benefit greatly from this focused and supportive extra help to achieve their goals.
At EarlyEd, we find parents who participate in TalkAbility learn:
- How to help their child build longer and better conversation skills
- How to “tune in” to the social non-verbal messages of others
- How to support their child’s imaginative play skills with peers
- The importance of story telling in conversations, and how to further build these skills
- Using play dates to support peer- peer interactions